Ingredients: For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of ice water
For the filling:
- 4 cups of mixed berries (such as blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar (for sprinkling)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt for the crust. Add the cold butter pieces and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, and mix the dough gently with a fork until it starts to come together. Be careful not to overmix. If the dough is still crumbly, add more ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until it holds together.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a disc. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to chill.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the mixed berries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract for the filling. Gently toss the ingredients together until the berries are coated evenly. Set aside.
- Roll out one disc of chilled dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle large enough to fit your pie dish. Transfer the rolled-out dough to the pie dish and gently press it into the bottom and sides.
- Pour the berry filling into the pie crust.
- Roll out the second disc of chilled dough and use star-shaped cookie cutters to cut out stars. Place the star cutouts on top of the berry filling, arranging them in a decorative pattern.
- Brush the top crust with the beaten egg wash and sprinkle granulated sugar over the stars.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Serve the Star-Spangled Berry Pie at room temperature or slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- Enjoy this delicious and patriotic dessert with family and friends!
Note: You can customize the fruit combination according to your preference, and feel free to add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to the filling for extra flavor.