- 1 box of white cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Whipped cream or frosting
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh blueberries
- Preheat your oven according to the instructions on the cake mix box. Grease and flour a rectangular baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the white cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth.
- Divide the cake batter into three equal parts in separate bowls.
- In one bowl, add a few drops of red food coloring and mix until the batter turns a vibrant red. In another bowl, add a few drops of blue food coloring and mix until the batter turns a deep blue.
- Pour the red batter into one side of the prepared baking pan, and pour the blue batter into the other side. Leave the center portion of the pan empty.
- Smooth the batter in each section so that it fills its respective area completely.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven according to the instructions on the cake mix box or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely in the pan.
- While the cake is cooling, wash and dry the strawberries and blueberries.
- Once the cake has cooled, carefully remove it from the pan onto a serving platter.
- Frost the top of the cake with whipped cream or frosting, leaving the blue section unfrosted.
- Create a rectangle of blueberries in the top left corner of the cake, representing the stars on the flag.
- Slice the strawberries lengthwise and arrange them in rows across the frosted portion of the cake to create the red stripes of the flag.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for a few hours to allow the frosting to set and the flavors to meld.
- Serve the flag cake chilled and enjoy this patriotic dessert!
Note: You can get creative with the design by using additional fruits like raspberries or even adding white chocolate chips for some extra decoration.